What: The Duke MBA Workshop for Minority Applicants
Date: Thursday, November 15 to Sunday, November 18
Location: Duke University, The Fuqua School of Business, 100 Fuqua Drive, Durham, NC 27708
Cost: No workshop fee. Duke provides room and board. Participants are responsible for travel to and from Duke.
Why Attend: The workshop incorporates both formal and informal interaction with Fuqua students, alumni, faculty, and administrators. During the weekend, you will have the opportunity to:
- Receive an overview of the MBA degree.
- Learn what factors Duke considers when evaluating candidates for admission.
- Explore options for financing the MBA degree.
- Complete your admissions interview.
- Learn about the career planning process and post-MBA opportunities.
- Gain valuable insight from our Duke MBA alumni as they share their Duke MBA. experience and discuss the role of the MBA in their own career development.
- Attend classes to become familiar with our curriculum and teaching style.
- Network with current students, faculty, alumni, staff and your future classmates.
- Experience the Duke MBA culture outside of the classroom through social events.
May-Penn Alumni Award
Each year our alumni recognize a peer with a special honor, the May-Penn Award. This award was established in 2006 in honor of Owen May, ’83 and Derek Penn, ’84 for their longstanding commitment, leadership, and exemplary service to The Fuqua School of Business. The May-Penn Award of Excellence is the highest honor BLMBAO alumni can bestow upon a peer.
Through this award recognition, we will honor the alumnus/a who actively participates in annual events, is accessible to students, and is connected to the broader community through his/her interaction with the faculty and administration. The recipient of this award should be recognized as a leader within the Fuqua community as well as in his or her profession. The individual recognized with the May-Penn Award of Excellence is an inspiration to those around him/her and a role model to those coming after him/her.
Past Award Recipients include:
2017: Liz M. Riley – Former Associate Dean of Admissions, Fuqua School of Business. Given honorarily in recognition of long-term service and commitment to the advancement of BLMBAO.
2016: Isela Bahena – Senior Director, Energy and Infrastructure Private Equity, TIAA Investments
2015: Anne Sempowski Ward – CEO, CURiO Brands
2014: Tonya Day Registre – Sr. Marketing Manager, Digital Marketing Strategy & Integration, American Express
2013: Mark Williams – Managing Director, Bank of America
2012: Eva De La Rosa – Client Manager, American Express
2011: Tyrone Thomas – Vice President, Citigroup
2010: Theresa Jones – Manager, Office of Employee Performance, Prince George’s County Public Schools
2009: Ken Burton – Senior Vice President, Bank of America
2008: Edward Magee – Vice President of Operations, Thomas & Betts Corporation
2007: Kelvin Baggett – Senior Advisor, Pharos Capital Group
2006: Owen May, CEO of May-Davis Partners and Derek Penn, Managing Director, Head of Equities at Pershing, LLC